Monday, January 8, 2018

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks, 2018: #1 Start

Amy Johnson Crow is once again challenging people to share their family history. In the 2018 version, she is providing themes to write about, or share photos, etc. I took part in her first challenge in 2014. I wrote 54 related posts that year. I focused on my direct lines. For some ancestors, I knew very little. It had me looking for information. In 2015, I wrote only once for that challenge. I certainly hope that I do better this time.

Week 1 -- The Word is "Start"

When I talk to groups about their genealogical research, I tell them to start with yourself. You are the "home person". As you continue your research, there is a new "home person". You work from the known to the unknown.

I often ask people when they are sharing interesting stories about their life, "Have you told your family that story? Have you written it down?"

At one time, I had a software program where you could create a timeline of your life from your answers to prompts, such as education. I don't recall its name.

I have my baptismal certificate and I looked up my birth announcement in the newspaper. Throughout this blog you will find stories about different aspects of my life but I have not tagged them with my name.


© 2018 Janet Iles

  Print

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated before being posted. Please no links in your comments. The blog author reserves the right to not post a comment if deemed inappropriate.